The completed trip

The completed trip
49 states, 10 provinces and a territory

Monday, March 26, 2012

Aliens, Missile Ranges and Country Roads

At the UFO Museum and Research Centre yesterday I took this picture of the "Aliens" with their space ship.


We spent most of the day driving into a stiff wind. The road climbed gently for miles. If it were not for my temperature gauges I would not have thought we were going up much at all, but my radiator temperature was a high as I have seen it and I had to slow down to keep my exhaust temperature below 1,200. We ended up at the top of the pass at 7,500 feet.

Driving down the other side of the pass we saw White Sands. Miles and miles of white sand and white sand dunes. It is quite an impressive sight. There is also the White Sands Missile Range and a NASA research centre there. (I wonder if there is a connection between here and the Aliens at Roswell). We stopped in at the visitor centre and I got this picture looking north from the centre. The cloud you see on the horizon is sand being blown in the wind. Before we left today we had to phone to make sure the highway was open. When they are testing missiles they close the highway.


We are staying at a campsite north of Deming, New Mexico. The campsite is very quiet, we are well off the highway, down a country road and then 7 miles of gravel road. There are jack rabbits, roadrunners, and a multitude of other animals and birds around.



Here is the view from our bedroom window.



Before dinner I was playing with my camera and I took this picture of a cactus.



The weather the past couple of days has been very warm. Yesterday in Roswell it was over 90 and last night the clouds rolled in so it was still warm in the morning. Here it is warm and breezy. Knowing we were going to be here for 3 days we stocked up the trailer so we don't have to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment