The completed trip

The completed trip
49 states, 10 provinces and a territory

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ontario Truckers, Moose and How far away is that lightning?





So we made into Ontario and the driving tactics have changed. Everywhere else I have driven the drivers that drive semi-trucks are reasonably courteous and law abiding. Things all change when you cross the boarder into Ontario. I was driving above the speed limit (92 in a 90 zone) but that did not stop the semi's from sitting 15 feet off my trailer bumper. When there is a passing lane I keep right and near the end of the passing lane I put on my blinker to indicate that I am about to pull into the line of traffic. My first passing lane in Ontario, I checked in my mirror to make sure it was safe to pull back in and there was a semi still behind me, but he did not slow down to let me in he just kept coming. He was quite happy to run me onto the shoulder to get past me. The next time it happened (I was not quite as surprised) the guy pulled into the oncoming lane across a double yellow line. Both times they were well behind me nearing the end of the passing lane. Of course later on I saw two cars pulled over by police assumably for speeding - but not risking anyone else's lives.

OK onto better things.

So far this trip we have seen a variety of wildlife and I have been trying to get pictures of them. Earlier in the trip I spent a very wet day looking for moose and other things in Kitwanga. Today as we were nearing our destination I saw a moose standing in a lake beside the highway. When the trailer was set up I drove back to near the lake and pulled off on an access road. I walked down the road until it turned into a trail and that in turn turned into a swamp. I walked very quietly and slowly carrying my camera, camera backpack (with all my lenses) and my full sized tripod. I crept up to the edge of the lake and I could not see it so I walked along the edge of the lake. There it was a big dark brown .....rock. I took it's picture and left - damn.


Not long after I got back I put the pork chops on the BBQ and shortly after that it started to rain really big drops. I was pretty wet by the time the chops were ready and the lightning started. Over the next hour or so we had a great fireworks display with several strikes close enough that there was under a second between the flash and the crack. The trailer park we are in had 3-4 inches of water after the storm.


No comments:

Post a Comment