The completed trip

The completed trip
49 states, 10 provinces and a territory

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Driving the praries - a brick and a stick

On our ferry trip down from Skagway to Prince Rupert we met a number of people including Brett. He was talking about driving across the praries and suggested using a brick and a stick. I don't think that method of driving would work for highway 16 because there is a corner about every 5 K or so. The other issue is the road is not exactly smooth and we are often "bounced out of straight" so there is a lot of corrective steering going on. Speaking of Brett - he owes us a picture.

With it being so flat and straight with not a lot of traffic I get to check my gauges more than I do normally. At 103 k/hour and just under 2000 rpm my exhaust temperature runs at 900 degrees, turbo boost is 10 pounds, water temp stays at about 75 - 80 C (which make me wonder if my thermastat is working correctly), voltage just above 14 and oil pressure just above 275. BTW the speed limit is 110. When I get time I will calculate my mileage and post it.

It is so flat here we think we can see the curvature of the earth. Today we could see for 20 - 30 K to the north and south.

This campsite in Saskatoon has the worst roads we have seen this trip and possibly the worst ever, so Edmonton is no longer number one on that list but it is number 2 and highway 37 coming in 3rd. The problem with highway 37 is that it is about 700 K long but there are no potholes that you could lose a wheel in like here or Edmonton.

The propane cover John made for us is working out great, best investment I've made for awhile.

Sorry no pictures today - maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment