The completed trip

The completed trip
49 states, 10 provinces and a territory

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Leaving Newfoundland

It is time for us to leave Newfoundland. Our ferry leaves at 11:30 am tomorrow. We have been here for 2 weeks and driven 3500 K. We could easily spend another couple of weeks or more here because there is so much to see and do.

James will remember the Vikings.

We will remember the wind. All the RVer's we talk to talk about the wind. Watching the semi in front of me with an unloaded flatdeck being blown around in the wind is something I will never forget.

There is also the ponds (lakes), rivers, inlets, rock and short trees. I think there is more water here than land. Some of the land is looks like the moon because it is so barren. The trees, especially on the west coast, are windswept and short.

If we come back we will come earlier in the year. We passed two campsites that are closed already and the last two were closing behind us.

We will remember to bring more food. On the west side there are lots of small connivence stores but trying to find our normal supplies is impossible. When I went to the liquor store the other day - the liquor was in the front, the video store was a couple of rows and 1.5 walls and the electrical supply (stove elements, switches, wire etc.) was the rest of the floor space.

I will remember the singing and the music and the other most heard sound - the clinking of beer bottles as the empties are put in the box and the sound of a full bottle being taken out.

I finally saw my moose. In fact I have seen 5 in the last 4 days.

I will also remember my boat trip on the Atlantic to see the puffins and the fin backed whale.

We will remember going to the most eastern part of Canada.

We will also remember that moose hunting season starts September 10.

Kathie will remember that Newfoundland is 4 and a half hours ahead of Victoria time. I will remember that as well as I have to get the baseball scores in the morning. Watching a baseball game that starts at 11:40 PM means I am up very late.

So here are a few parting pictures.

Another church -





Another lighthouse -


And another bird - this one a falcon (Perigrine I think - supposed to be very rare here so I will have to have a closer look) -



No comments:

Post a Comment