The completed trip

The completed trip
49 states, 10 provinces and a territory

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hurricanes and a change of plans

We left Littleton this morning with a short day planned - we headed to a campsitejust outside of Albany NY. When we got there we were approached by a worker who said that the campsite was closed because of the damage from the hurricane.

We moved on and after some discussion and a late lunch we decided on Cooperstown. When we got here they said they got 18 inches (450 mm) of rain during the hurricane and things are muddy and soggy. The road that goes directly to the Baseball Hall of Fame from here is closed because the lake is still flooding it.

Speaking of Hurricanes - congratulations to Tim and the rest of the Hurricane First Lego Team who met the Governor General when he was in Victoria. The team won the BC First Lego division and did very well at the worlds.

Right now we are having weather that would make our friends and family on the wet coast feel right at home. It is raining, very hard at times and we had a lightning storm roll through earlier. The difference is - it's a warm rain - it is about 20 degrees at 10:30 pm.

I have been out taking pictures for my SwayBack Barns and Broken Homes project. I drove around four states yesterday, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire. While working on the project I have taken 100's of pictures of old houses and barns. None of them have been occupied as I try to make sure that I am not encroaching on someone's property.

Yesterday as I was driving along I would see a house that would be a good subject and slow down and ..... there was a car in the driveway or someone sitting on the porch or a light on inside the house. The guy on the porch was really wondering what I was doing. The house was sinking and the roofline was bent but I guess it was home. In New Hampshire I found a house and barn that fit my requirements. I parked the truck and got some good pictures the the barn and the house and as I was leaving I noticed the laundry hung up in the back yard oooops. I hope you can't see it in the pictures.


We are finding the prices here very similar to those in Canada. Some items are cheaper ($8 for a big bag of briquettes ($18 on the wet coast and $13 on the east coast)). Fuel here is $4.30 / gal so it is a little cheaper. Basically the prices are comparable but we get universal healthcare.

We did end up driving on the Turnpike today, that ended up costing us an extra $15 but the road was very smooth and we averaged a little over 100K/hour with the trailer, which isn't bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment